Dallas resident Lyda Hill’s $50 million donation to the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston was the seventh-largest gift to a hospital in 2013, according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
The gift was for MD Anderson’s Moon Shots Program, a research effort focused on eight types of cancer. Her gift is the largest single private philanthropic contribution to date in support of the program.
The six donations ahead of Hill’s:
1. $100 million to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (New York City), from David Koch
2. $75 million to Children’s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics (Kansas City, Mo.), from The Hall Family Foundation
3. $67 million to Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minn.), from Robert and Patricia Kern.
4. $66 million to Medical College of Georgia Foundation (Augusta), from J. Harold Harrison, MD.
5. $53 million to Hoag Hospital Foundation (Newport Beach, Calif.), from Jeffery M. Carlton.
6. $50 million to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, from the Buerger family.