A Dallas-based freestanding emergency-room company has been sued after a 4-year-old girl died following treatment at one of its facilities.
The company, Excel ER, and its doctor on duty were accused of negligence in the lawsuit filed by the family of Olivia Steinborn, who died in August of bacterial meningitis.
According to a story in The Dallas Morning News, the girl had been treated just hours before at Excel’s now-shuttered Keller facility.
The suit, filed in Dallas County court, says Olivia’s condition was misdiagnosed by the doctor on duty—a medical resident—who sent her home after giving her fluids and a prescription to treat an ear infection. It also says the girl should have been transferred to a hospital.
Excel ER, which has six freestanding ERs in Texas, did not respond to an email from D CEO Healthcare requesting comment.
The family is asking for more than $1 million in damages, according to The News.