CHRISTUS Health Sells its Share of Baptist St. Anthony

CHRISTUS Health has signed an agreement selling its share of Baptist St. Anthony’s (BSA) in Amarillo.

The agreement, set to close by the end of the year, will transfer ownership and operation of BSA to a joint venture between Baptist Community Services of Amarillo and Ardent Health Services.

The new joint venture will include the 445-bed Baptist St. Anthony’s hospital, the Don & Sybil Harrington Cancer Center, a network of primary care, urgent care, surgical and bariatric clinics; a preferred provider network; and BSA’s partnership interests in Physicians Surgical Hospitals, ADC endoscopy, and Advanced Imaging Center

As part of the new venture, Ardent is committed to invest $50 million into building an expanded emergency room and a  state-of-the-art cancer clinical facility.

The ownership transition began in December 2011 with CHRISTUS’ announcement that they would sell its partnership in BSA.

“While we are saddened to leave the Amarillo community after our sponsoring congregations 111-year history here, we know the BSA ministry is in good hands,” said Ernie Sadau, president and CEO of CHRISTUS Health, in a statement.  “We are proud of all that BSA has achieved during the BCS and CHRISTUS partnership, and firmly believe that the health system will continue to grow to meet the health care needs of the community.”

Ardent will own 80 percent of the joint venture, and the remaining 20 percent will be owned by Baptist Community Services. Ardent and Baptist Community Services will each appoint half of the governing board.

Posted in Hospitals.