Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas has awarded $1.8 Million to community based organizations to fight and and manage chronic kidney disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Richardson-based BCBS of Texas has awarded more than $10 million Healthy Kids, Healthy Families grants to focus on the two diseases.
The two diseases often go hand in hand, and research has shown that COPD increases the risk of mortality for patients with CKD by 41 percent, especially among women and children.
“We launched this strategy understanding that this was an opportunity to impact two chronic diseases that are impacting the lives of Texans,” said Dr. Dan McCoy, president, BCBSTX via release. “That’s why it was important for us to collaborate with organizations that are making a difference in changing people lives through various outreach and education programs.”
Organizations across the state can apply for the HKHF program grants, which are meant to raise awareness about the prevention and early detection of CKD and COPD. HKHF started in 2011 with the goal of impacting one million children and focuses on nutrition, physical activity, disease prevention, and supporting safe environments.
As described in the release, this year’s recipients include:
- “American Lung Association: Leading the fight for healthy lungs and air as well as on eliminating tobacco use and related lung disease.
- National Kidney Foundation: Dedicated to the awareness, prevention and treatment of kidney disease.
- It’s Time Texas: Focused on dramatically improving the landscape of health and wellness in Texas.
- Texas Medical Association: Serves Texas citizens in matters of medical care, prevention and cure of disease, and the improvement of public health.
- Texas Kidney Foundation: Fighting kidney disease through awareness, education, and prevention resources.
- Shannon Medical Center: Through its Shannon Medical Center-San Angelo Diabetes Coalition – a program that includes kidney screenings and education on managing CKD.
- Bexar County Community Health Collaborative: Uses a synergistic approach to solving critical community health needs in the Bexar County region.
- MHP Salud: A national nonprofit organization that implements and runs Community Health Worker programs that provide peer health education, increase access to health resources and bring community members closer.
- The Victoria Alliance Against Chronic Kidney Disease: A Victoria County Public Health Department program that will targets kidney disease in at risk populations.
- El Paso Children’s Hospital: To the children’s hospital mission in providing pediatric diabetes research and education.
- Texas CASA: To support statewide child advocacy programs that provides a safe and positive future for all Texas children.
- The Caring Foundation of Texas: A mobile immunizations program that provides access to immunizations, oral care and health education for uninsured and medically underserved children throughout Texas. “