California-based Pipeline Healthcare Management is partnering with Adeptus Health to purchase 22 freestanding emergency rooms in North Texas. The facilities will become licensed outpatient departments of City Hospital at White Rock and renamed City Hospital Emergency Care.
Pipeline has been expanding in North Texas since its purchase of the 218-bed City Hospital at White Rock. The company is purchasing the majority stake of Texas Health Resources in the emergency rooms, according to the Dallas Morning News.
“We have a successful track record of improving community healthcare through innovation and rethinking how healthcare is delivered. We’re confident our personalized approach to ER care through the City Hospital Emergency Care facilities will be a win‐win for everyone, including patients, physicians, other caregivers and Dallas‐Fort Worth residents,” said Dr. Mark Bell, president and founder, Pipeline Health via release.
Dr. John H. Myers will be joining Pipeline as vice president of ambulatory services, working with local operations and clinical teams for the freestanding emergency rooms.
“We’re thrilled to have Dr. Myers join our team in Dallas. He’s an accomplished physician, entrepreneur and elite athlete who pushes the boundaries to achieve success in anything he pursues. We admire his passion for developing innovative healthcare solutions and believe he will bring tremendous value to City Hospital Emergency Care and the communities we serve,” said Bell via release.
Lewisville-based Adeptus Health, the largest operator of freestanding emergency rooms, was purchased by a New York hedge fund in 2017 after filing for bankruptcy. The fund paid $212.7 million in outstanding loans after a class-action lawsuit was filed against Adeptus alleging the company made false and/or misleading statements, failing to disclose its internal control over financial reporting and the overall status of its business operations.
Pipeline Health also completed the purchase of Dallas-based Tenet health facilities in Chicago. The sale of three Chicago-area acute care hospitals was completed this week, and included Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital, Westlake Hospital and West Suburban Medical Center are the three hospitals being sold. The sale was announced in July.
The move follows Tenet’s strategy that Modern Healthcare noted as it moves to focus on top markets, and sold the facilities after acquiring them through its $4.3 billion acquisition of Vanguard Health System in October 2013.
Over the last few years, Dallas-based Tenet has sold off numerous properties. In 2017, Tenet sold Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center, Houston Northwest Medical Center, and Park Plaza Hospital in the Houston area for a reported $750 million. In early 2018, they dealt Des Peres Hospital, physician practices, and other hospital-affiliated operations in St. Louis to St. Luke’s Hospital. There has been offloading of home health systems and other hospitals as well.
Below, see the 22 purchased freestanding emergency rooms.
- Arlington‐Matlock, 8020 Matlock Rd., Arlington
- Arlington‐Green Oaks (Little Road), 4747 Little Rd., Arlington
- Carrollton‐Beltline, 2745 E. Belt Line Rd., Carrollton
- Cedar Hill, 850 Hwy 67 N., Cedar Hill
- Colleyville, 5000 SH 121, Colleyville
- Corinth, 4600 Swisher Rd, Ste. 50, Hickory Creek
- Dallas North Tollway, 4535 Frankford Rd., Dallas
- DeSoto, 800 W. Beltline Rd., DeSoto
- Frisco‐Preston, 5245 Preston Rd., Frisco
- Garland‐Centerville, 738 W. Centerville Rd., Garland
- Grand Prairie‐Carrier Parkway, 901 W. Jefferson St., Grand Prairie
- Lake Highlands, 10705 E. Northwest Hwy., Dallas
- Lewisville, 1596 W. Main St., Lewisville
- Little Elm, 2800 Little Elm Pkwy., Little Elm
- Mansfield, 995 N. Walnut Creek Dr., Mansfield
- McKinney‐Eldorado, 5000 W. Eldorado Pkwy, McKinney
- Mesquite‐Gus Thomasson, 3400 Gus Thomasson, Mesquite
- Mesquite‐Samuell Farms, 1745 N. Beltline Rd., Mesquite
- North Ft. Worth‐Beach (Beach Western Commons), 4551 Western Center Blvd., Ft. Worth
- North Ft. Worth ‐Western Center, 2710 Western Center Blvd., Ft. Worth
- Rowlett, 3301 Lakeview Pkwy., Rowlett
- Wastauga (Basswood), 5401 Basswood Blvd., Ft. Worth